As the Christmas holidays are quickly approaching everyone is frantically starting to look for the perfect presents they’d like to give their loved ones. For all those who have tech enthusiasts as relatives or friends it may be harder to figure out which gift would suit their hobby the best. That’s why we at VR Today Magazine are motivated to help anyone out choose the best way to acknowledge the VR lovers in their life this Christmas.
- If you’re able to splurge, then opting for a VR headset would be a very grandiose and generous gift for any VR enthusiast.
- There are various accessories available for VR lovers, such as carrying bags, charging docks, and VR stands, which can help organize and protect VR gear.
- Another great gift idea is digital Gift Cards for games and apps. That way, you allow your friends to choose what to redeem without worrying whether you’ll pick the right game or not.
Without a VR headset, you cannot access any VR content. That’s why gifting your loved one this device would probably be a great encouragement for them to start experimenting with this new piece of tech. However, headsets are pricey, that’s why here we’ve selected two options that are under the $1000 mark but still provide impressive performance.
Meta Quest 3
After its recent release this past October, the Quest 3 has been attracting a lot of attention in the VR gaming niche as it is marketed as a worthwhile Quest 2 upgrade. It’s packed with more features compared to its predecessor, all for a $200 price increase.
You get to enjoy a wireless, powerful headset with a sharper picture and a faster processor. Plus, the color pass-through cameras make augmented reality experiences possible.
You won’t get the eye-tracking technology of the Quest Pro, but the Quest 3 still offers plenty of features to make it worth it.
The Quest 2 is a good starting point if you’re on a budget, but the Quest 3 is worth the extra money for the step up in technology.
If you want to learn more about Quest 3’s specs, pros, and cons, you should check out our Meta Quest 3 Review here.
Sony PSVR 2
The PlayStation VR 2 offers a cutting-edge virtual reality experience for PlayStation owners, who want to upgrade their gaming experience. Despite an impressive price tag of nearly $600, the headset is packed with features that make it worth the investment like:
- Compatibility with the latest PlayStation 5 games
- Eye-tracking and motion-control technology
- OLED display with 2,000 x 2,040-pixel picture to each eye
- Launch library with titles including Horizon: Call of the Mountain and Jurassic World Aftermath Collection.
Lightweight and comfortable, it’s the perfect way to immerse yourself in the world of gaming this holiday season.
You can get a more in-depth overview of the PSVR 2 in VR Today Magazine’s review of the headset.
Accessories can really help you improve the performance, maintenance, and convenience of using VR tech. Here are our top pick accessories to consider gifting the VR enthusiast in your life:
Any VR headset owner should have a dedicated carry case where they can store their VR equipment. Not only is it easier to keep all parts organized in one place, but you can also transport them without worrying about damage.
Tomtoc Carrying Bag
This stylish bag is water-resistant and has an adjustable interior organizer for your headset, controllers, batteries, cables, etc.
It fits the Quest 2, Quest 3, and even some smaller PC VR headsets, all for only $50. You can purchase it from Amazon and even score a holiday deal or buy it directly from Tomtoc.
With a charging dock, you can give any VR lover the gift of convenience as this gadget would always keep their gear charged and ready for action.
ZyberVR Quest 2 3 in-1 Charging Dock
This clever device charges the headset, controllers, and battery head strap simultaneously, with LED indicators for monitoring. Store the headset and controllers in the dock, too!
It retails for $55 and features:
- Quick, efficient charging (2.5-3.5 hrs for headset, 4 hrs for controllers)
- LED lights for monitoring and can be turned off for sleeping
- Proposes a handy storage solution for headsets and controllers
It is available for purchase on both Amazon and ZyberVR’s official website.
Quest 3 Charging Dock
The official Quest 3 charging dock is an all-in-one solution for energy-drained VR devices, which automatically starts charging when you place your headset and controllers in it. Check the charging status quickly with the LED indicators. Plus, the dock is compact and can neatly store your headset and controllers while they charge.
It is pricier compared to its predecessor’s charging dock alternatives as it costs $130 and can be purchased from Meta Store, Amazon, and BestBuy.
Kiwi Design VR Stand
This durable device provides padded spots for your headset, controllers, cables, and power adaptor so you can keep your gear safe and easily accessible.
It is compatible with Quest, Rift, HTC Vive, and Valve Index headsets.
Here’s what you can expect from this product:
- Durable design
- Padded spots for headset, controllers, cables, and power adaptor
- Compatible with multiple headsets
- Affordable price range ($20-$35)
The Kiwi Design VR stand is available for purchase on both Kiwi Design’s online store and Amazon.
For the ultimate VR experience, the SteelSeries Arctis 7P Wireless headset is the way to go. It offers lag-free audio and a reliable 2.4GHz wireless connection, plus a 24-hour battery life and a retractable noise-canceling mic. It’s compatible with many VR headsets, but it’s pricey at $200.
A more budget-friendly option would be the JBL Live 660NC headphones, which cost $100. They have active noise cancelation and Ambient Aware mode, plus 40 hours of battery life and a folding design.
Most VR hand controllers require AA batteries to operate and perform optimally. Energizer’s rechargeable batteries can provide up to 10 hours of gameplay with a single charge, perfect for those who don’t want to worry about their headset running out of power.
Here’s why these rechargeable batteries will be highly appreciated by any VR geek.
- AA batteries can be charged up to 500 times
- Compatible with most VR hand controllers
- Provide up to 10 hours of gameplay on a single charge
Yes, you can easily gift anyone a VR game through Meta Store and SteamVR. This is how you can finally buy and send someone a wished-for game without any hassles:
How do you gift games on the Meta Store?
Now, you can easily gift games and apps to your friends and family members who own an Oculus Quest 2 or Oculus Quest.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Choose the ‘Buy for a friend’ option from the Oculus Store listing.
- Enter their email address and an optional note.
- Enter your payment method.
To redeem the gift, they just need to go to the game or app listing, select ‘Redeem gift’, and enter the 25-digit code.
Here, you can read a detailed guide from Meta on how to gift games on their platform.
How do you gift games on SteamVR?
- Start by sending them a friend request if you’re not already connected.
- Then, purchase the game from the Steam Store.
- Scroll down to the “Buy this game as a gift for a friend” section if you already own the game, or click “Add to Cart” if not.
- Select the gifting option, type in the username of the recipient, then complete the purchase.
- You’ll get a notification when it’s accepted.
Gift Cards won’t go out of style any time soon as they enable convenience and freedom of choice how to redeem them. These are the ways you can purchase a voucher for VR content you’d like to gift your friend this Christmas:
Meta Store Gift Cards
Meta Store offers customers the ability to buy gift cards with amounts ranging from $15 to $100. These gift cards are valid only for digital content, such as VR games and apps. After you receive a personalized message, you can send it to your friend via e-mail. The best part about Oculus gift cards is that they don’t have an expiration date and can be redeemed around the clock. That way, your friend can get Asgard’s Wrath or Ghostbusters: Rise of the Ghost Lord right after Christmas dinner.
Steam Wallet Code
Available on the Steam Store, these gift cards come in a variety of denominations, ranging from $5 to $100. You can also purchase multiple cards if you wish to gift more than $100.
Sending is easy:
- Select the Send Through Steam option
- Choose the amount
- Select your friend, and hit Continue.
Payments are accepted through PayPal, Bitcoin, and credit cards, and the code is instantly sent.
Depending on the currency exchange rate, your friend may receive a different amount than what you purchased.
Here is our recommended list of VR Christmas games and experiences to try this Christmas.
Although it may seem counterintuitive to gift books to VR enthusiasts or any tech lovers for that matter, we believe that the written word was the first to enable people to immerse themselves in different worlds and should, therefore, be acknowledged when it comes to expressing creativity. The following books are all somehow connected to the world of tech, as we’ve tried to select works that combine both fiction and actual research into the topic of tech and its impact on society.
Ready Player One
If you’re a fan of Ready Player One, you’ll love gifting the original book this Christmas! Ernest Cline’s 2011 science fiction classic follows protagonist Wade Watts as he competes in the OASIS for an Easter egg left by its creator, which will grant whoever finds it a large sum of money and ownership of the OASIS. The novel received generally positive reviews and was later adapted into a 2018 feature film.
Here are some other great gifts for those who are already fans of the book:
- An OASIS-themed board game: Relive the excitement of the novel with this fun two-player game.
- A Wade Watts action figure: From the neck down, this figure looks just like Wade from the book.
- A VR headset: Players can explore the virtual world of the OASIS firsthand with this immersive technology.
- A poster of the movie adaptation: Featuring the cast of the 2018 film, this poster is perfect for any fan’s wall.
The Metaverse: And how it will revolutionize everything
The book examines the implications of virtual worlds on business, finance, education, and entertainment, as well as ethical considerations.
It offers insight into the potential impact of virtual reality on our everyday lives. From exploring the possibilities of the future to discussing the ethical implications, this book is a must-read for anyone interested in virtual reality.
The detailed analysis and engaging writing style will help readers gain a greater understanding of the transformative potential of the metaverse.
The classic novel ‘Neuromancer‘ by William Gibson is a science fiction masterpiece that has greatly influenced the cyberpunk genre.
Here’s why it’s worth gifting this book:
- ‘Neuromancer’ follows the exploits of a computer hacker who’s hired to pull off a major heist in a future world where technology has advanced to allow direct access to cyberspace.
- It explores themes of artificial intelligence, virtual reality, corporate power, and post-human evolution.
- It was the first novel to popularize the term ‘cyberspace’ and is credited with helping to create the subculture of cyberspace.
- It’s a timeless classic that’s sure to be a favorite of any VR lover.
With the holidays fast approaching, finding the right present for VR lovers may be complicated. However, we at VR Today Magazine have put in the effort to help anyone on their hunt for VR-related gifts. From headsets to accessories, games to gift cards, and even books, there’s something to suit everyone’s needs. Most importantly, you should be aware of all the cheap scam products, especially online. That’s why it’s best to adhere to an expert’s advice.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Do VR Headsets Cost?
VR headsets can be surprisingly affordable; prices vary from just a few hundred to thousands of dollars.
What Age Range Are VR Games Suitable For?
Most VR games are suitable for ages 10 and up. However, some may be too complicated for younger players, so please read the game’s age rating before purchasing.
Can I Use a VR Headset With My Existing Gaming Console?
Yes, you can use a VR headset with your existing gaming console. Depending on the console, you may need to purchase additional accessories to make it compatible. Check the manufacturer’s website for more details.
Are There Any Free VR Games Available?
Yes, there are several free VR games available. You can find them online or through various VR apps. Many are compatible with different headsets, so you can choose the one that’s right for you.