Whenever people purchase any type of tech device, they seem to forget how important it is to maintain it clean in order to preserve its quality. The same goes for VR headsets, which, unlike other hardware pieces, require more caution when being sanitized. It is our goal to help all headset owners learn how to upkeep their VR devices properly. Adequate treatment will not only ensure a better hygiene level of the components but also prolong their lifespan.
- Regularly cleaning your VR headset is essential for a comfortable and safe VR experience.
- Dust, oils, sweat, and other substances can damage the hardware over time if not cleaned regularly.
- Cleaning VR tech pieces with alcohol-free wipes and a microfiber cloth will ensure no surfaces are scratched or damaged.
Why it’s important to keep your VR headset clean
Maintaining a clean VR headset is essential if you want to enjoy a comfortable, safe, and optimal VR experience. Dust, natural oils, sweat, and other substances can damage the hardware over time if not taken care of, so it’s important to regularly clean your headset.
Doing so will help prevent blurry images, eye strain, and even skin irritation that can be caused by a dirty headset. It will also ensure better hygiene for other users and extend the life of your headset. That’s why, in order to keep your VR headset in top condition, make sure to clean it regularly.
How to prepare the headset for cleaning
Before continuing on to the actual cleaning process, you must first prepare your VR headset for cleaning.
- Power off the headset and unplug it if it’s wired.
- Remove any glasses spacer, as the Meta Quest 2 or 3 have, and clean it separately.
- Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions for more specific cleaning methods.
It’s also a good idea to take some additional precautions:
- Wash your hands before and after cleaning.
- You may choose to wear nitrile gloves during the process.
Cleaning products you’ll need
- Alcohol-free wipes – they are ideal for cleaning facial interfaces and can be used on foam and less porous surfaces, such as PU leather. For this purpose, there are some wipes on the market specifically designed for VR headsets. VR Cover offers alcohol-free, hypoallergenic, and unscented wipes. However, these contain hydrogenated castor oil, which may leave a residue on lenses.
- Microfiber or Lint-free cloth – Lenses are prone to scratching, so make sure to only clean them with the included microfiber cloth or a lint-free cloth. Gently move in circles when wiping the lens. Avoid using tissue paper or paper towels, as the fibers may become stuck to the lens.
Keep in mind that any cleaning materials used should be non-abrasive and soft to avoid damaging your headset. Make sure to read the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning your device before you start.
How to clean the headset’s exterior?
When cleaning the exterior of your headset, start by using a lint-free cloth and wiping it in gentle circular motions. Concentrate on the eye and nose area, as well as the top and bottom of the outer shell.
Avoid using alcohol-based wipes on fabric head straps, as they can damage the material. Instead, use a microfiber cloth to prevent smearing.
Make sure to let the headset dry completely before using it again, and keep it away from direct sunlight.
How to clean the VR lenses?
Use a microfiber cloth to clean the lenses and thus minimize friction. Start at the center and work your way outwards in circular motions. For tougher dirt and marks, camera lens cleaning fluids can do the job.
Here’s a list of tips to help ensure a proper clean:
- Always use a recommended microfiber cloth
- Start by cleaning the center of the lens
- Use circular motions to spread cleaning
- Consider camera lens cleaning fluids for tougher dirt
- Be sure to follow the instructions carefully.
How to clean VR controllers?
Wipe down your VR controllers with a soft microfiber cloth to keep the sensors clean. Avoid using water, soap, or any abrasive materials, as they can damage the sensors or the controller casing.
A cotton swab dipped in alcohol or lens cleaner also works, but be sure to wipe gently without applying too much pressure.
Dust, sweat, and fingerprints can build up on the rings, buttons, or grips of your controllers, so it’s important to clean them regularly.
Doing so will ensure that your controllers are able to detect their position and orientation in the virtual space.
VR headset cleaning DON’Ts
- Avoid using abrasive materials, solvents, and liquids like alcohol or acetone when cleaning your VR headset.
- Common household cleaning wipes such as Clorox are also a bad idea due to their chemicals, which could irritate the skin if applied near the eyes, nose, or mouth.
- It’s not recommended to use compressed air as this could blow more debris into the headset, and the propellant chemicals could damage the plastics. Instead, opt for mild soap and water or a pre-mixed cleaning solution, and use a lint-free cloth or a microfiber cloth for best results.
- Wash your hands and face before each use.
- Consider investing in a VR cover for the facial interface or a new facial interface made from a material like PU leather.
- Store the headset in a dedicated case or even the box it came in in order to keep it away from dust.
- Use a dry microfiber cloth to wipe the inside and outside of the headset before and after each use.
Cleaning your VR headset is an important part of maintaining its performance and hygiene. Taking the time to clean it regularly can help extend the life of the headset and ensure you’re not smearing bacteria and grime all over your face.
Studies show that regular headset cleaning can reduce the amount of germs on the headset by up to 97%. This is all the more reason why you should follow the tips we shared in this article and start keeping your devices properly.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Often Should I Clean My VR Headset?
You should clean your VR headset regularly, at least once a month. However, if you share it with others, it’s recommended to clean it after every use.
How Can I Store My VR Headset Safely?
Store your VR headset in a safe, dry place away from direct sunlight. To maintain its condition, keep it dust-free and avoid dropping it. For an added layer of protection, invest in a padded carry case.
What if There Are Areas of My VR Headset That Are Hard to Reach?
If areas of your headset are hard to reach, use a cotton swab or a soft cloth to get into the nooks and crannies. Be gentle, and don’t press too hard so you don’t damage the headset.
Is It Safe to Use Alcohol-Based Cleaning Products on My VR Headset?
It’s best to avoid using alcohol-based cleaning products on your VR headset. Opt for a gentle, non-abrasive cleaning solution that won’t damage the device. A good choice is one designed specifically for digital devices.
Are There Any Additional Accessories I Should Get to Help Maintain the Cleanliness of My VR Headset?
Yes, you can invest in an easy-to-clean interface made out of PU leather, which won’t soak in all the oil and grime from the face.